16 February 2010

I compete them in video and I make it!

Heiya...

Alhamdulillah. That what I want to start. Feeling so great and grateful because Allah always makes anything seems smooth and pull out the corals which sometimes almost broke my steps. Anyway guys, I won the competition of video contest which held by AFS-USA.

At first, probably 3 months ago, I received an email told me that AFS-USA held a competition for host family to making a video about what they got after hosting an or more exchange students on their house. My host mother was got that email too. We all discussed about it and planned to made a video. Three weeks or a month after the conversation, nothing was happened in term of that video. I'm so lazy to make it, so do my host family.

Then on January, I was checked on youtube in host family contest's channel. Nobody was submitted their video yet, so I just thought they were not going to be a competition at all since nobody submitted , whereas the deadline was 2 weeks away. I hesitated as well to made it.

Waiting on couple days afterward, I was going there again and there were three or five (I didn't how many approximately the videos have submitted at the time) uploaded and officially being a competition. Dang it! I have to make it. In the last minute of the deadline, I rushed arrange the time for taking the video, found the pictures that I want to put on, determined the backsound, recorded my sound and any kind of materials I need to make a basic video.

I thought I couldn't make it because the time was up. Then an email pop on my inbox. They said they extended the deadline for the competition, so will be a week after the deadline was supposed to. I grinned. I had a time, not much though. My host family and I then worked, together. I took the video of them, taking pictures and edited it. It took like two-three days until everything completed.

Soon I submitted to AFS-USA then they put it on their youtube channel. We started promoting our video mouth to mouth and by facebook. It worked very well.

The improved deadline was up. I was surprised, 45 videos was already submitted including ours. A big competition, it really was. The video which already submitted before ours, was got couple more hits, which one part of the judging. I was thinking, no chance for me to win. A few hits and less innovative video rather than other competitors, made me feel hopeless. But I believed, we gave our efforts and let God does the rest.



A week later. My local coordinator, Valerie, texted me that somebody from ACES National office called my host father but he didn't answer it. That's true since my host father lost his phone couple days before. She said that people from National Office, further then I knew her name was Lindsey, had a good news for my father. I wasn't surprised yet, because I thought the "good" news will be a new exchange student profile sent to my host father because he is a local coordinator.

I received the text message at school. So, I was just going hoem and told him that Lindsey tried to call him and brought a good news. He was opened his email, and he found out that will be couple exchange students placed there. I exhaled dissapointly. But he told me that's one unread inbox that was received couple hours before. He opened it and said that we are win the competition.

"Congratulations! Your host family video has been chosen
by ACES and the YES consortium as the winning ACES submission.
Your video, with the theme 'How is hosting better than
you thought it would be?', is a heart-warming look into
the benefits of hosting a YES student
and the special bond you have created with each other."

An email in which made my day. And I'm counting for the trip that we won for, a 4 days trip to Washington DC on March 18-21, 2010. I hope it'll turn out so fun. Thank's for everybody who had watched it and reading this post. We can be great for what we want, do effort, let God does His will for us. Success is just complementary. Everybody deserves their success, on their own times.


Arief Budiman and The La Beaus


No comments: